I had the pleasure of sitting down with a journalist who blogs about money and personal finance for US News and World Report who has been featured on radio and tv but it just doesn’t stop there; she is a #5to9Warrior. That means she doesn’t believe in check monogamy. She runs a few businesses on the side well maintaining a successful career as well as being a wife and a mother. It wasn’t until she had kids of her own that she decided to take her side gigs seriously. One of her part-time businesses is running an Esty shop named Palmers Planners. She is also an author of two books, her first one was Generation Earn which is The Young Professional’s Guide to Spending, Investing, and Giving Back and she just recently released her second book titled Economy of You: Discover Your Inner Entrepreneur and Recession-Proof Your Life in which she shares the stories of 100 successful side-giggers who built financial security by launching side-businesses. Clearly you can see why I asked her on. It is my pleasure to introduce to you Kimberly Palmer.
In this interview with Kimberly Palmer we talk about:
- Why you should build a business on the side when you have a job you love.
- How to manage being a mom, having a full-time job and building a business on the side
- Why you should consider opening a store on Etsy
- Tips for getting started on Etsy
- I think a lot of people make the mistake of waiting until they feel like everything is just perfect before putting something up (Click to tweet)
- How to learn what people want
- I just think by getting started and getting that feedback as soon as possible you can get on the right track sooner. (Click to tweet)
- Dos and Don’t for Etsy
- Know your weakness and get help where it can help your shop (Click to tweet)
- What is the “reverse latte factor”
- Is passive or residual income possible?
- The most effective way to market your Etsy shop
- 1 in 3 millenials have launched a side business
- Why is running a side hustle becoming so popular
- What to do when times get rough
- It’s about helping people and that is always what it will come back to (Click to tweet)
- What are some of Kim’s biggest mistakes
- How your side business can save you when things go really badly
- Why modeling is so important (and not the kind that is done in underwear)
- The most important money advice for a side hustler
Cool things mentioned in this episode:
- Kimberly Palmer’s Website
- Kimberly Palmer’s work at US News & World Report
- Palmer’s Planners
- First book – Generation Earn: The Young Professional’s Guide to Spending, Investing, and Giving Back
- Economy of You: Discover Your Inner Entrepreneur and Recession-Proof Your Life
- Cat Coach (Told you I would find it)
- Marie Forleo
If you enjoyed this content and want more, make sure to enter your best email below and become a FREE VIP Member for first access to the shows and exclusive content only available to VIP Members.